OK, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I'm not fan of chicken nuggets from the usual outlets or even the frozen “organic” varieties you find in the freezer section of the supermarket. Once again, you just need to read the labels to notice the plethora of ingredients. Many of them contain E numbers, preservatives and artificial flavours of which none is needed and is actually very damaging to one’s health. My kids are just like others and also love chicken nuggets, so I wanted a healthier alternative. That’s when I came up with this little recipe.
What you need:
· 500g chicken breast sliced thinly into strips or chicken tenderloins. Could also use thigh fillets
· 1 cup of chickpea flour
· 1 ½ tsp of real salt or season to taste
· 1 tsp of onion powder
· 1 tbsp of garlic powder (I’m a little obsessed with garlic powder at the moment, it goes on everythingJ . Lessen if that’s too much for you
· 1 tsp of mixed herbs
· 1 egg slightly beaten *
· 1tsp paprika seasoning (optional, not needed)
How you do it:
1. Mix flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, mixed herbs and paprika if using into a shallow glass bowl
2. Have egg slightly beaten into another bowl
3. Dip each chicken strip into the egg and then the flour mixture
4. Once all completed, shallow fry on medium heat until golden brown
5. Enjoy with your favourite steamed veggies, salad, home made potatoe fries etc
I often double the recipe and make enough for dinner and then freeze the rest uncooked for another day when you are super busy and need something quick for dinner. You can also individually wrap some of the chicken strips before you freeze. Handy for when you need a quick lunch for the kids!
*I have successfully made these without the egg when my son was completely egg free. Just substitute the egg for any milk your child can handle.
**These can also be made salicylate friendly by only using salt & garlic powder and omitting the rest of the flavourings. It was still quite tasty.