How do I know if I need gut healing?

Well, just about ANY physical symptom of dis-ease will be the result of a gut and/or cellular function imbalance as the root cause. That means about 97% of the population can be of benefit to healing their gut, including you!

Treating anything else is just a band-aid solution and symptom management.

According to Dr Natasha Campbell-Mcbride (Author of Gut and Psychology Syndrome), adults and children with gut issues display the following symptoms to various degrees:

  • Digestive (colic, reflux, bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, feeding issues (fussy eating – limiting food to white starchy carbohydrates))
  • Autism
  • ADHD
  • Allergies
  • Eczema
  • Food sensitivity/intolerance
  • Behavioural issues
  • Weakened immune system – constantly getting sick and not recovering quickly, chronic infections
  • Asthma
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • IBS (abdominal pain, bloating, stool abnormalities and flatulence)
  • Auto-immune disease

She goes on to explain that a healthy adult carries 1.5-2kg of bacteria in the gut and that they are all in a well organised system. The number of functions that the bacteria fulfill in our bodies are so vital, but if we made our gut too sterile, we would probably not survive.

Dr McBride also mentions that 80-85% of our immunity is located in the gut wall and that the bacteria within us outnumber human cells in our body by 10:1. In essence we are more bugs than cells. These numbers alone demonstrate the importance of GUT HEALTH!

So how do we get out of balance with our gut in the first place?

Thankfully the list of culprits is not too long and the factors that affect it are within our control to remedy so that we CAN alter the health of our gut.

FACTORS THAT AFFECTS THE MICROBIOME:

  1. Antibiotics - there is absolutely no question that there is a time and a place for the use of antibiotics, but not at the levels seen today. The truth of the matter is that most sickness, if nipped in the bud early using age old remedies, can be resolved without the use of countless courses of antibiotics. See my workshops page for Managing Your Child's Health Naturally
  2. Pharmaceuticals - The use of ANY pharmaceuticals will have a negative impact on the gut microbiome. If there is a need a consume a pharmaceutical, then suitable follow-up care should be employed
  3. Diet- This is 100% in our control and it can have the single biggest impact on the health of the gut. A diet that is rich in packaged, processed, colours, additives and preservative laddened food will put the gut flora out of balance and have a detrimental effect to the health of the gut.
  4. Stress - This is quite often the elephant in the room and is actually the TRUMP card when it comes to your health & well being. A stressed mind and body will outweigh a healthy diet any day.
  5. Environmental toxins - We need to be aware of the environmental factors that surrounds us on a daily basis and how they could be/are affecting your health. By this I mean, the quality and source of your food, the products that you are using to clean, the products that are applied to your body and being absorbed by the largest organ, i.e the skin and the electromagnetic fields you are exposed to.

How to heal the gut?

This is something that does NOT happen overnight and requires patience, perseverance and most importantly flexibility. There is definitely is no "One Size Fits All" approach, but the fundamentals remain the same regardless of the type of healing protocol you need to follow.

  1. Get back to basics  - a wholefood nutrient dense diet is NON NEGOTIABLE. Health is not found in a box or convenient, I checked :-). It's about what is important 80% of time and the remainder 20% is with no guilt (if your symptoms allows this level of flexibility)!
  2. Include fermented food and drinks in your diet - Start this slowly and with caution as some individuals can be very sensitive to the die-off reactions when starting to include this daily. Also add a quality broad strain probiotic daily.
  3. Include broth and grass-fed gelatine - This needs to be consumed daily and multiple time a day for a therapeutic effect.
  4. Stress Management - This is the key to the puzzle. We cannot avoid stress, but we can definitely learn how to handle it better. Find a way that sits well with you and more importantly teach your offspring to do the same. This is one of the best life tools you can provide them.

If you need help with you or your child’s gut healing journey, book in for a free 15 minute call, email me or check out my work with me page to see if one of my programs are a suitable fit for you.

Chantal is a Certified Nutrition & Wellness Coach who specialises in working with stressed and overwhelmed mothers of immune & digestive challenged children to heal their child’ gut by implementing a wholistic personalised step by step plan.